Re: TODO: GNU TLS

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
Subject: Re: TODO: GNU TLS
Date: 2006-12-30 19:50:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Bruce Momjian (bruce(at)momjian(dot)us) wrote:
> I had to stuble together a Certificate Revocation List (CRL) patch for
> 8.2 from soneone's posted patch. I didn't even know what CRL was, and
> got no feedback from the community, so I had to figure it out myself to
> get it into CVS (for server and client sides) and documented.

I recall talking about CRLs on the lists at one point and encouraging
their inclusion. I would have been happy to explain what they are and
why they're good to have (along with OCSP support...). I thought you
were included in that discussion.

> If I couldn't get community help for getting a patch documented for 8.2,
> what help are we going to get to maintain two ways of doing SSL?

My apologies for not responding to the request (I think I did see it,
though I can't recall for sure). I don't consider myself an SSL or
X.509 expert but I've got some experience with it and would be happy to
help as I can...

> For some reason, SSL seems to have more black magic than other
> libraries.

It's more the certs and X.509, ASN1, etc, that's black magic, imv. :)

Thanks,

Stephen