Re: out of memory woes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Angva <angvaw(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: out of memory woes
Date: 2006-12-29 23:22:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Angva wrote:

> Guess I'm about ready to wrap up this thread, but I was just wondering
> if Alvaro might have confused work_mem with maintenance_work_mem. The
> docs say that work_mem is used for internal sort operations, but they
> also say maintenance_work_mem is used for create index. My tests seem
> to show that clustering does not use work_mem at all (or my clusters
> don't use very much of it for whatever reason). Can anyone confirm
> this?

Huh, sure, "system" operations like cluster, create index or vacuum use
maintenance_work_mem, not work_mem (the latter being used mainly by
regular queries, i.e. select, update, delete). I just hadn't read the
whole background of your problem so I didn't notice you were talking
about cluster. Sorry about being sloppy on that.