Re: psql possible TODO

From: mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql possible TODO
Date: 2006-12-06 00:17:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 04:15:05PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Allowing these people to live in the dark ages doesn't appeal to me.
> > Certainly not if it takes effort to do so. :-)
> Funny no one has yet to offer a better alternative, they just keep
> saying my way is better. Sounds a bit like emacs vs. vi to me.
>
> ctrl-p is great for a single command. It sucks if you look at my
> workload which I have outlined previously in this thread. I also
> mentioned explictly why ctrl-r won't work for this particular case.
>
> I also said, show me a better way (I am happy to learn) and you haven't
> done that either.
>
> Your work load does not apply to my work load, nor the workload of
> others on this list who have already gave a +1.
>
> I was quite serious, if someone can illustrate a more efficient way I
> will gladly RTFM on that way and drop the whole thing.

You are saying that typing in 50 commands by hand, adjusting it each time,
is efficient?

I've done what you are suggesting - I think - I do it with a file. I
type "psql -f <filename>". I run it as many times as required.

Other times, I keep the 50 command lines in an XEmacs session, and I
cut + paste whole paragraphs from XEmacs to psql.

By doing this - my work is saved.

psql is not an editor session. It will never be an editor session. It
will always be a command line. Trying to treat it as an editor session
sounds like torture. Augh. :-)

Cheers,
mark

--
mark(at)mielke(dot)cc / markm(at)ncf(dot)ca / markm(at)nortel(dot)com __________________________
. . _ ._ . . .__ . . ._. .__ . . . .__ | Neighbourhood Coder

and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/