Re: Suggestion: new frontpage layout

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Suggestion: new frontpage layout
Date: 2006-11-30 20:05:05
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 07:26:31PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > Based on suggestions from Simon (mainly) and a few others,
> > I've put up
> > > a suggestion for a new layout on the frontpage that shows some more
> > > stuff than before. It's up on http://magnus-master.pgadmin.org/.
> > >
> > > Note: The planetpostgresql header currently reads "support us"
> > > pending new image-files from Tom ;-)
> >
> > I'm not happy about posting planetpostgresql on the front
> > page. That gives random individuals unchecked (until after
> > the fact) access to post on the front page. Seeing that
> > Devrim has in fact in the past resisted making
> > planetpostgresql.org into planet.postgresql.org to keep the
> > efforts unrelated, that seems contradictory. What is the
> > rationale for making this change?
>
> The rationale is that there is a lot of good articles posted there
> that would get promoted to the frontpage. Such as the PWN,

I already post the PostgreSQL Weekly News to www.postgresql.org as I'm
publishing it. I'd be delighted to have it get a more prominent place
than 3 clicks down. Right now, you can see it by the blindingly
obvious ;) method of clicking on Community, then finding the link
marked PostgreSQL Weekly News in the text, and then choosing the top
link.

> but that's just one of many examples. It also "brings life" to the
> page because there is a list of content that actually changes
> reasonably often.

Right.

> While it's certainly not "random individuals", you definitly have a
> point in that it's unchecked.

True. We could have certain "categories" get on the page, and others
not. For example, I have a category called PWN. I'm not sure how
portable that is, though.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter