Re: Give more space on Home page for Upcoming Events

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot)Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Give more space on Home page for Upcoming Events
Date: 2006-11-28 19:23:42
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 07:47:03PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > AFAIK the holdup for that one is that someone has to get us a
> > > copy of the font needed to make headers...
> >
> > What font is it, and who is "someone?"
>
> The font is Frutiger Roman
> (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2005-08/msg00048.php).
>
> The "someone" is the problem, since it's a commercial font.

Is there an unencumbered font out there that we could use instead?

> > > What's the argument for showing less on the frontpage?
> >
> > Just the one you made: if it's too "busy," people will be confused
> > and not enlightened.
>
> That's an argument for not having too many type of things ,not
> necessarily for having too many things of the same type. (Eh, that
> wasn't clear. Point: we could have 10 news and 10 events, it's no
> more confusing than 3. But it takes more time. Having 10 different
> things would be more confusing)

I'm thinking we could take a close look at some competitors' web sites
and see what's on their front page. We ought to be able to find some
kind of "busy-ness" metric and stick to it :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!