Re: Shutting down a warm standby database in 8.2beta3

From: Stephen Harris <lists(at)spuddy(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Shutting down a warm standby database in 8.2beta3
Date: 2006-11-24 12:20:52
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 02:47:27PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> It would back up to whereever the last recovery checkpoint was. I think
> we've got it hardwired at one recovery checkpoint per 100 source
> checkpoints ... maybe that's too far apart.

I'm talking out of my arse now, since I have no ideas of the internals
of postgres recovery, but maybe a recovery checkpoint can be added each
time it asks for a new archive file, or 100 source checkpoints, whatever
comes first.

A database that is mostly idle (eg overnight) but has 1 or 2 critical
transactions will have received lots of archive logs (from the 5 minute
checkpoint timeout) but not necessarily enough to cause recovery to
checkpoint. This could mean needing to keep a large number of shipped
logfiles available on the standby system "just in case".

--

rgds
Stephen