Re: [HACKERS] Extended protocol logging

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Extended protocol logging
Date: 2006-11-16 23:19:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > I think it would be useful to have the log results from a test program
> > > in the protocol section,
> >
> > The contents of the postmaster log are surely not part of the FE protocol.
> > Clients can't even see the log without resorting to nonstandard hacks.
>
> OK, can we please put the example from -hackers into the docs,
> somewhere, with particular note of which protocol messages result in
> which logging output?

If people want to know the output, run a program and look at the
postmaster logs. If we document it, we have to keep it current, even if
we improve it later. I will say I had trouble testing this logging
because it requires a C program to use that protocol. Here is the test
program I used.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us

Attachment Content-Type Size