Re: RAM Based Disk Drive?

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RAM Based Disk Drive?
Date: 2006-10-31 19:56:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 11:48, "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:
> you are talking about the gigabyte i-ram. in the database world, you
> can achieve same thing (actually better) by sticking those ram sticks
> directly on the motherboard assuming you are in a 64 bit environment
> and the motherboard is decent.
>
> the main advantage of the iram that i see is faster boot times (big
> woop). call me when they have a version that does 256gb :-)

http://www.superssd.com/products_sub.htm

And, of course, the real advantage to a solid-state drive is random access
speed, which vastly improves both random writes and random reads.

Not that I can afford one, of course ...

--
Ginsberg's Theorem:
1) You can't win.