Re: Is ODBC that slow?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Carlo Stonebanks <stonec(dot)register(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Subject: Re: Is ODBC that slow?
Date: 2006-10-21 16:07:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On 10/21/06, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> >Try Command Prompt's ODBC driver. Lately it has been measured to be
> >consistently faster than psqlODBC.
> >
> >http://projects.commandprompt.com/public/odbcng
>
> just curious: what was the reasoning to reimplement the protocol stack
> in odbcng? the mainline odbc driver went in the other direction.

Yeah, but they had to back-off from that plan, and AFAIK it only uses
libpq for the auth stuff and then switch to dealing with the protocol
directly.

I don't know what the reasoning was though :-) I guess Joshua would
know. I'm not involved in that project. I only know that recently a
user posted some measurements showing that ODBCng was way slower that
psqlODBC, and it was discovered that it was using v3 Prepare/Bind/
Execute, which was problematic performance-wise due to the planner
issues with that. So AFAIK it currently parses the statements
internally before passing them to the server.