Re: UTF-8

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tomi NA <hefest(at)gmail(dot)com>, Martins Mihailovs <martins(dot)mihailovs(at)europrojects(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF-8
Date: 2006-10-13 16:58:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 12:04:02PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Tomi NA" <hefest(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > 2006/10/13, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>:
> >> Similarly, upper/lower are also supported, although postgresql doesn't
> >> take advantage of the system support in that case.
>
> > I think this is the crux of the problem.
>
> If it were true, then it might be ...

Eh? Here's the declaration of pg_toupper:

unsigned char pg_toupper(unsigned char ch);

Characters havn't fitted in an unsigned char in a very long time. It's
obviously bogus for any multibyte encoding (the code even says so). For
such encodings you could use the system's towupper() (ANSI C/Unix98)
which will work on any unicode char.

To make this work, pg_strupper() will have to convert each character to
Unicode, run towupper() and convert back to the encoding. I imagine
that'll get rejected for being inefficient, but really don't see any
other way.

Have a nice day,