Re: looping through query to update column

From: Jean-Christophe Roux <jcxxr(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Albe Laurenz <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: looping through query to update column
Date: 2006-10-13 13:49:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks for the "ctid" trick. The code below worked fine
for rec in select * from fromemail_trades loop
update fromemail_trades set recordid = row where ctid = rec.ctid;
row := row -1;
end loop;
The first line is a little different from your's:
FOR row IN SELECT ctid, * FROM table FOR UPDATE LOOP

How important is it to specify ctid in the select and to add 'for update'?
Thanks again
JCR