Re: pg_dump exclusion switches and functions/types

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_dump exclusion switches and functions/types
Date: 2006-10-07 21:21:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> I kinda like that, because it makes the behavior completely independent
> of switch ordering, which seems like a good property to preserve.
> Anyone else have an opinion pro or con?

The only "con" argument I can think of is that "tar" and "rsync", whose syntax
is familiar to a lot of sysadmins, apply switches left-to-right.

However, I don't feel that that is a compelling argument. The include/exclude
switch order processing is something I've always *hated* about tar and has
messed me up more times than I can count. Also, Windows users could care
less if we behave like tar.

So +1 to go with orderless switching.

--
Josh Berkus