psql hangs during load of pg_dumpall file

From: "James Baxendale" <jrpbax(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: psql hangs during load of pg_dumpall file
Date: 2006-10-05 04:33:50
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I am using version 8.1.3 on Windows XP professional (I have also tested this
under 8.1.4). I have created a pg_dumpall file from my database after
containing roughly 30 tables and 20 sequences.

When I try to recreate my database from the pg_dumpall output file the psql
session I am using hangs forever. The command I am using to load the
pg_dumpall file is:

"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\bin\psql.exe" -h localhost -p <non standard
port> -U postgres -f pg_dumpall_ouput_file.sql

After about 5 to 10 seconds the scripted commands in
pg_dumpall_ouput_file.sql hangs forever without producing any error
messages. The interesting and annoying from the point of view of trying to
debug what is going on is that after I kill the psql process and retry the
script will hang at different points in the process of running the commands
in the pg_dumpall_ouput_file.sql file. At one point after trying to load
this file about 20 times with various uninstall and re-install attempts of
PostgreSQL in between to ensure that the installation was not somehow
corrupt (both with 8.1.3 and 8.1.4) I eventually got the data loaded.

Has anyone ever seen behavior like this before and does anyone have any
suggestions of how to track down what is causing the load process to hang.
BTW, I am pretty sure nothing else is causing deadlock on any of the tables
in question as I can repeat this behavior after a reboot of my machine
followed by the issuance of the command above without running any other
applications.

I can still connect to the database using pgAdmin III after the script of
commands hangs so the database seems to still be 'alive' after the psql
process hangs.

Any ideas of how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James