Re: Select for update with outer join broken?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Select for update with outer join broken?
Date: 2006-10-02 16:25:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> Josh, you don't know what you're talking about. The backend's
> capabilities for this have not moved an inch since 8.1 (transient bugs
> in its error checking do not represent an advance in capability),

Hmmm ... was this an unapplied patch? We certainly had it working on the
benchmark machine.

Researching ...

> and furthermore I'm not seeing anyplace in the SQL spec that suggests
> the nullable side of an outer join should be updatable.

Oh, no, what should happen is that the outer join portion of the query doesn't
get locked, rather than a fatal exception. That behavior is expected by the
J2EE certification, so it's at least somewhat industry-standard.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun