Re: BUG #2632: createuser language poblem

From: Massimo Fidanza <max(at)massimofidanza(dot)it>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2632: createuser language poblem
Date: 2006-09-21 08:40:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Quoting Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:

> "Massimo Fidanza" <max(at)massimofidanza(dot)it> writes:
>> Hi, I discover a very annoying bug in the create user command. I have the
>> environment variable LANG=it_IT.UTF-8 and when I try to crate a new user wit
>> the create user command, at he prompt I have the three questions
>> Shall the new role be a superuser? (y/n)
>> Shall the new role be allowed to create databases? (y/n)
>> Shall the new role be allowed to create more new roles? (y/n)
>
> The reason those aren't getting translated is that the Italian
> translations have not been updated for 8.1 --- the entries in it.po
> still look like the 8.0 wording:
>
> #: createuser.c:170
> msgid "Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n) "
> msgstr "Il nuovo utente può creare database? (s/n)"
>
> #: createuser.c:181
> msgid "Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) "
> msgstr "Il nuovo utente può creare altri utenti? (s/n)"
>
> If this annoys you, please join the PG translation project and help to
> fix it:
> http://pgtranslation.projects.postgresql.org/
>
> regards, tom lane

Yes, I can join the translation team and translate the missing strigs,
but I think this is not the right answer. I think the best solution is
to accept the english answer too.
I made a patch to common.c (src/bin/scripts/common.c) that compare the
user answer with the translated and the english affermative (y) and
negative (n) answer. I add a case insensitive comparison too.
I know that this can generate conflicts between languages, but looking
at the other languages in wich Postgresql is already translated there
are no conflict between english and non english languages. I look for
other languages too and I find a possible conflict with african
Swahili language, where the answers are (ndiyo==yes/kataa==no), but
they can for example specify (y/n) as (nd/k).

Bye Max!

Attachment Content-Type Size
common.c.diff text/plain 504 bytes