Re: advisory locks and permissions

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: advisory locks and permissions
Date: 2006-09-21 00:22:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 07:52:33PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> face up to the possibility of malicious use. For instance, it's not
> very hard to create a DoS situation by running the system out of shared
> lock table space:

Didn't you just say we don't try and protect against DoS? ;P

> The brute force answer is to make those functions superuser-only, but I
> wonder if there is a better way. Perhaps we could just deny public
> execute access on them by default, and let admins grant the privilege to
> whom they trust.
>
> Or we could try to do something about limiting the number of such locks
> that can be granted, but that seems nontrivial to tackle at such a late
> stage of the devel cycle.

ISTM that just restricting default access still leaves a pretty big
foot-gun laying around... perhaps the best compromise would be to do
that for this release and add some kind of a limit in the next release.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net