Re: advisory locks and permissions

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Subject: Re: advisory locks and permissions
Date: 2006-09-21 03:15:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

All,

> I vote for locking down to superuser access (lets be frank here: I
> would estimate 90%+ database installatons run with the application as
> root) so we are not losing much.

Not in my experience. Note that making them superuser-only pretty much puts
them out of the hands of hosted applications.

How simple would it be to limit the number of advisory locks available to a
single request? That would at least make the DOS non-trivial. Or to put in
a handle (GUC?) that allows turning advisory locks off?

Hmmm ... I'll bet I could come up with other ways to use generate_series in a
DOS, even without advisory locks ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun