Truncation of email subject lines

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Truncation of email subject lines
Date: 2006-09-16 18:33:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have confirmed that my email client, elm-ME+, is wrapping long subject
lines on output, e.g.:

Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: sslinfo contrib module - information
about current SSL

and because majordomo is stripping any secondary lines, the subjects are
getting truncated. It took me a while to figure this out because my
mail reader displays multi-line subjects just fine.

When we started talking about the problems with multi-line subjects, I
figured it wasn't a problem --- who would make a multi-line subject? I
didn't realize mail readers would do that automatically.

Should I try hacking my mail reader to prevent this? I think I see
where it is happening in the code.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us