Re: Release notes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release notes
Date: 2006-09-14 14:25:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:

> > > Sorry, September 18. I will probably be done before then, but it seems
> > > best to set a date I know I will hit.
> >
> > Here we go again with another developer who keeps making endless promises for
> > vaporware patches that never show up. We've already set on-disk bit-map
> > indexes straight on this and I think giving you special treatment sets a bad
> > tone for the project. At this point I think we have to cut the release notes
> > from this release... maybe they can be added back in for 8.3.
>
> Very good one!

Yeah, it was funny, but it points a problem which is that we are
overloading you to do the release notes thing. I agree that we should
push individual developers to include release notes updates on the
patches they submit. They are easier to write than the documentation
update in any case (which as you say, not everyone submits), mainly
because they are way shorter.

(Or maybe not _push_ them to do that, but at least not forbid updating
the release notes which AFAIK is the current policy.)