Re: backup infrastructure

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: backup infrastructure
Date: 2006-09-13 21:27:48
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Dan Langille wrote:

> On 6 Sep 2006 at 15:30, Dan Langille wrote:
>
>> Gidday folks,
>>
>> One way I can contribute my services to the project is in the form of
>> backup services. You tell me what files need to be backed up from what
>> servers, and it'll be done on the frequency required.
>>
>> Restores can be arranged for those that have admin access. We can
>> keep a designated number of backups online, for immediate access.
>> Older backups will be stored offline.
>>
>> Bacula is my tool of choice. Let me know how I can help.
>
> Is the lack of response a verification that no help is required or
> did I pick a bad time?

What is needed on the vServer side of things? A client, I assume? And
how much data is it safe to backup? postgresql.org is up to 24G in size,
and growing ... :)

We're in the process of setting up a full backup to a remote server *just
in case*, but that will include *all* files, so that we could fail over as
required ... so I'm not sure whether or not there would be a benefit to
'per file backups', but I'm not against it either if others here feel that
this would help ...

----
Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664