Re: Buildfarm vs. Linux Distro classification

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Buildfarm vs. Linux Distro classification
Date: 2006-09-12 03:21:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Browne wrote:

> It seems to me that there is some value in putting together a script
> that tries to identify some of the interesting bits of the toolchain.

Yeah; but why not just a bunch of commands, some of which are expected
to work on any particular machine, and save the whole output as a single
string? It's not very clean, but should get the important details. To
support a "new machine," just add more commands to the script.

A simple version of this, based on your Mark 0, could be:

uname -a
$CC --version
$CC -V
$CC -v