references/tutorial/tricks on dynamic generation of sql (& plpgsql functions) editing/coding

From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: references/tutorial/tricks on dynamic generation of sql (& plpgsql functions) editing/coding
Date: 2006-09-11 12:34:00
Lists: pgsql-general

I'd write a trigger that generate a function.
This is done for performance reasons.
The function will be called several times and it is a list of delete statement according to the content of a table.
The content of the table will seldom change and it is linked to the creation of other tables (metadata of other tables) and I want to provide a consistent interface to the downstream developers (if any in the future) and me.

Since the code inside the function is getting a bit longer than what I was used I'm getting crazy about double quotes, syntax highlight and such.
I'm using pg 7.4 so $$ trick shouldn't work.

Do you have any advice about dynamically generated functions? Starting from a good vi/kate/whatever syntax highlighter to coding tricks to make the process less painful?

Even if this is just the framework it looks enough unreadable

create or replace function SP_GarbageCollectionGenerate(
)
returns bool as '
begin
execute ''create or replace SP_GarbageCollection( ''
|| '')''
|| ''returns bool as '''' -- what a mess!
|| begin
return null;