Re: Is this logical?

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Behrang Saeedzadeh <behrangsa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is this logical?
Date: 2006-09-10 00:18:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:

> But "not null" is in contradiction with "default null" so the create
> statement should not proceed successfuly IMHO.

The fact that the default value isn't going to pass a constraint means
that it's invalid to not provide a value or use default, yes, but I don't
agree that it's necessarily a real contradiction in the definition,
especially given that AFAIK there's no way to opt out of having a default
(apart from a construct like the one given).