Re: Progress and Questions

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Eric M(dot) Cherry" <cherry_eric(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Progress and Questions
Date: 2006-09-04 02:20:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

> The manual told me that a variety of client interfaces already exist, but
> that it's most common for the client interface to be built from scratch.
> Glancing ahead at the "client interface" section, I saw that the interfaces
> are written in another language entirely. I flinched.

Well most of the client interfaces that already exist are very specific in the functionality they
provide. PgAdmin III is an example of a client interface to the postgresql database. Notice that
its main purpose is for database administration. It probably would not be well suited as a client
interface for an banking ATM machine for example. Another example of a client interface is
pgDesigner. It allows a database designer/administrator to develop a graphical representation of
a database "schema" design. pgDesigner would then connect to the PostegreSql server, create a new
database and then pass all of the sql commands that would generate the database schema from the
initial graphical design.

In your case you may want to develop a program that a client of yours can use to (lets say)
engineer, estimate, and schedule a project/product of their interest. This "program" would
comprise of a Database repository and client front end. Generally, the types of RDBMS(for
repository) and programming language(for front end) are choices that developer will make. I
imagine that developers make use the tools they are most experienced with.

> Is there a reason to pick one of those languages over another?

It depends. Various languages are useful for different purposes. Do you want your client
interface to be a web page, or a text based program, or a graphically user interface?

Depending on which you choose, the sets of available languages is reduced.

I hate to complicate things for you here. But there are potentially three languages that you
would have to learn. 1st. SQL, 2nd. RDBMS procedural language, 3rd. Client interface Programming
Language.

The good this about Postgresql is that you could potentially reduce your learning curve by
choosing the same Language for both the RDBMS and the client interface. Although I would not
recommend this. :-)

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.