Re: Latest ODBC driver?

From: Stijn Vanroye <s(dot)vanroye(at)easytowork(dot)nl>
To: "'pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Latest ODBC driver?
Date: 2006-09-01 07:40:00
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Mark Morgan Lloyd schreef:

> Stijn Vanroye wrote:
>
> > Just a thought: Mark, are you using the actual BDE engine itself
> > (TTable, TQuery and such), or are you using the ADO components
> > (TADOConnection in combination with e.g. a TADOQuery or
> TADODataSet)?
>
> Stijn, thanks for that. I'm using pukka BDE in all cases- in
> general a TQuery with custom query text constructed at
> runtime. I also admit that I'm using D3, and that we are far
> more interested in getting the apps running using Lazarus on
> Linux than we are in paying extortionate upgrade prices for
> dubious enhancements.

Pukka BDE is unknown to me, but on the case of behaviour and usage within Delphi there's no siginificant difference between a Tquery and a Tadoquery. Also linking it to db-aware components, reporting tools etc. is no problem. I believe that you can quite easily replace your Tquery objects with TADOQuery objects, without any major changes. I build almost every query at runtime...

Just my 2 cents (a bit off-topic):
D3? Hmm.. I only started in D4 myself, and got to D7 now :) But I can imagine that the BDE and other data components are a bit outdated in D3. I'm guessing that with the frase "extortionate upgrade prices for dubious enhancements" you mean upgrading to a more up-to-date delphi version, and not having certainty that your problem would be solved? Depending on how the situation for which you are developping is changing (as I believe you are building mostly internal apps for NT4 systems), you will be forced to change your toolkit sooner or later. Best is to keep a close eye on that and be prepared for this kind of change. Conscider that porting your application(s) could take a lot of time. Looking from D3 to the most recent versions, there have been quite some changes. How far Lazarus can take you in this is unknown to me, since I have never looked into it (sounds interesting though) ;-)

Regards and good luck,

Stijn.

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Mark Morgan LloydDate: 2006-09-01 09:46:19
Previous:From: noreplyDate: 2006-09-01 06:48:58
Subject: [ psqlodbc-Bugs-1000725 ] psqlodbc8.02.01 could not be loaded in windows98se