Re: [Pgsqlrpms-hackers] Safer auto-initdb for RPM init script

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, pgsqlrpms-hackers(at)pgfoundry(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Pgsqlrpms-hackers] Safer auto-initdb for RPM init script
Date: 2006-08-27 02:39:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 07:21:50AM -0700, Joe Conway wrote:
> > We also decided to turn off the init script execution entirely. The DBAs
> > were more comfortable with a manual database startup for a production
> > machine anyway (this is the way they typically handle Oracle databases
> > also). They get paged if the server ever goes down unplanned, and in
> > that event they like to check things out before bringing the db back up.
> > For planned outages, database startup is simply part of the plan.
>
> I'd *really* like to have an official way to just disable the initdb
> code entirely.

This is trivial to do --- just add a /etc/<some_dir>/postgresql file
that contains a line like

AUTO_INITDB=0

to turn the auto-initdb'ing feature of the init script off. If the file
is not present or AUTO_INITDB is not defined to zero in that file, then
the code behaves as today. I don't recall what the configuration
directory is called in Redhat systems, but there is one in there (in
Debian it's /etc/default).