Re: new FAQ entry (was:Re: UTF8 problem)

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tim Allen <tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: new FAQ entry (was:Re: UTF8 problem)
Date: 2006-08-22 03:37:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Instead of adding an FAQ entry, which might not be found when the error
is generated, I added a HINT for 8.2 that will appear with the error
message:

errmsg("invalid byte sequence for encoding \"%s\": 0x%s",
pg_enc2name_tbl[encoding].name,
buf),
errhint("This failure can also happen if the byte sequence does not "
"match the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled "
"by \"client_encoding\".")));

Supplying information at the point of error is usually the best
solution, if possible.

Backpatched to 8.1.X as well.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us