Re: An Idea for planner hints

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Gregory Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, AgentM <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>
Subject: Re: An Idea for planner hints
Date: 2006-08-17 08:55:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gregory Stark wrote:
> I'm not sure it's worth throwing out the more user-friendly interface
> we have now but I think it's clear that a table is the obvious
> "machine-readable format" if you're already sitting in an SQL
> database... :)

Then again, a table might not be the optimal format for an inherently
hierarchical structure.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves. There are three parts to this:

1. determine what statistics to gather
2. gather those statistics
3. use those statistics

#1 can really be handled manually in the beginning, and you'd still have
an excessively useful system if #2 and #3 are available. Once that is
done, we can gain experience with the system and maybe find a way to
automate #1, but it really does not need to be the first step.

--
Peter Eisentraut