Re: how to determine which types take a length argument

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to determine which types take a length argument
Date: 2006-08-09 17:54:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 01:20:41PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> Both time and varchar take an argument, but they have different typlen values.
> I don't think the docs are wrong here, I think they just don't tell me what I
> am looking for.

Oh, you're referring to typmod values. All those are defined by the
grammer directly, special cased (which is what we want to change). They
should be documented somewhere, but they'd all be expantions of the
ConstTypename in the grammer.

Offhand I can see:

FLOAT, DECIMAL, DEC, NUMERIC, BIT, BIT VARYING and all the char/varchar
types.

Have a nice day,