== PostgreSQL Weekly News - August 06 2006 ==
Pervasive announced the end of their PostgreSQL support last week.
We're sorry to lose a member of our corporate community who have been
so supportive. Commercial support for PostgreSQL is available from
several other companies. Pervasive will be donating their
documentation and PR collateral to the PostgreSQL community.
The Gorda Project has created a preliminary PostgreSQL implementation
of their database replication.
== Applied Patches ==
Michael Meskes committed:
- His patches to ECPG that will support regression tests.
- Implemented EXEC SQL UNDEF.
- Regression test patch by Joachim Wieland.
Tatsuo Ishii committed:
- ITAGAKI Takahiro's fix for an overflow bug in contrib/pgbench.
Bruce Momjian committed:
- Joshua Drake's patch which updates the docs on Maintenance and
- Greg Sabino Mullane's patch which adds regex matching and multiple
-n and -t options to pg_dump.
- Martin Pitt's patch which causes pg_dump not to restore TABLE DATA
objects if the corresponding TABLE object failed to be created.
- A patch which lets people log the parameters when executing prepared
statements. And there was much rejoicing.
Andrew Dunstan committed:
- a patch that causes pg_regress to fall back on testing with the
canonical results file if an alternative test is specified but none
Joe Conway committed:
- his multiple-tuple INSERT, which is now working faster in less RAM
than a certain Swedish company's.
Tom Lane committed:
- a HINT per suggestion from Michael Glaesemann for cases where the
new multiple-tuple INSERT fails.
- Andreas Seltenreich's patch which fixes stats collection for GIN
- Michael Fuhr's patch which causes g_trigtuple and tg_newtuple to be
cleared to NULL in AFTER STATEMENT triggers.
- Gavin Sherry's patch which adds regression tests for the new VALUES
features including multiple-tuple INSERTs.
- Joachim Wieland's basic regression tests of GUC behavior.
- A patch which teaches the optimizer to simplify BooleanTest nodes
that have constant input.
- A patch to domain_in() which fixes a bug that Darcy Buskermolen
- A patch per example from Martin Lesser which makes constraint
exclusion work better by extending relation_excluded_by_constraints()
to check for mutually exclusive WHERE clauses. A rename and/or new
GUC variable may be in the works.
- Another patch per example from Martin Lesser which teaches
predicate_refuted_by() how to do proofs involving NOT-clauses. This
helps with the IS NOT TRUE clauses which the rule rewriter tends to
- A fix to inheritance_planner() to delete dummy subplans from its
Append plan list, when some of the child rels have been excluded by
constraint exclusion. This doesn't save a huge amount of time but
it'll save some, and it makes the EXPLAIN output look saner. This
parallels the equivalent change in set_append_rel_pathlist()
- Simon Riggs's patch that helps do archive timeouts and one which
allows people to force the WAL file to be written out along with
some miscellanea discussed at the conference. Also ways to have
Neil Conway committed:
- Michael Fuhr's patch which fixes the pgcrypto documentation.
== Rejected Patches (for now) ==
No one was disappointed this week :-)
== Pending Patches ==
Jonah Harris submitted his INSERT/UPDATE ... RETURNING patch.
Pavel Stehule sent a patch that improves how PL/Perl uses PostgreSQL
Gavin Sherry cleaned up Jie Zhang's on-disk bitmap index patch.
Chris Browne sent in a patch documenting replication options in
Sergey E. Koposov sent in a patch which changes sql_features.txt to
include his multiple-argument aggregates, which complete T-621 of the
Ralf Engelschall submitted a patch to allow C extension modules to
call code immediately after pg_dlopen and immediately before
pg_dlclose in a platform-neutral way.
Teodor Sigaev sent in a patch which adds support for typmod to any
type, and adds support for typmod to format_type().
Zoltan Boszormenyi sent in a patch with implements the SQL standard
GENERATED [ALWAYS] AS IDENTITY.
== PostgreSQL Product News ==
PgPool 3.1.1 is out
BitRock has released LAPPStack, a software bundle for Linux which
includes PostgreSQL 8.1.4.
phpPgGIS-4.0.1-4, a web system to manage PostgreSQL and PostGIS, is out.
Sun and Greenplum have rolled out the Thumper DW date warehouse
MicroOLAP Database Designer 1.1.1 for PostgreSQL is out.
== PostgreSQL Jobs for August ==
== PostgreSQL Local ==
Everything this week was global.
== PostgreSQL in the News ==
Planet PostgreSQL: http://www.planetpostgresql.org/
General Bits: a Time Travel Update
PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter
pgsql-announce by date
|Next:||From: David Fetter||Date: 2006-08-14 06:31:27|
|Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - August 13 2006 ==|
|Previous:||From: Luke Lonergan||Date: 2006-08-01 15:32:14|
|Subject: Sun and Greenplum announce 100TB data warehouse using