Re: 8.2 features status

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Gavin Sherry" <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: 8.2 features status
Date: 2006-08-04 17:01:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Luke,

> Yep. Fix the visibility issue - there are a number of good ideas on how to
> do it, we are in a position to bang it out now IMO.

Actually, a group of us discussed this at the Code Sprint in Toronto, and came
up with a plan which will also reduce row overhead on large tables. I can't
remember who was working on that though.

> >> We already have splitting queries among CPUs and machines.
> >
> > Yes, YOU do. We don't.
>
> Details, details - redefine "We" and it's the same thing.

Well, if you'll give us the schedule for open-sourcing MPP 2.0 ... ;-)

And actually, even incorporating very limited multi-threading of queries ...
such as the proposal to dispatch an I/O thread for seq scans ... would help
PostgreSQL a lot.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun