Re: Lurking Wanna Be

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Hal Davison <herbie(at)faams(dot)net>, Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
Cc: glenn(at)tangelosoftware(dot)com(dot)au, pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lurking Wanna Be
Date: 2006-07-27 03:53:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Sean,
>
> Being specific..
>
> The PostgreSQL is running on Linux.
>
> The client/users will connect from their bloated
> Intel PCs.
>
> With an HTML browser they could connect from
> anywhere and any box if
> that option were available.
>
> I'm looking for a tool or toolset that will enable
> one to 'PAINT' the
> screen, extract information from one or more
> datasets, display the
> information. Give the user some interaction and send
> the changed
> information back to the db server.
>
> Hal Davison
> Sarasota, Florida

Hal, in short, you want a programmed interface without
the hassle of programming, is that about it? If you
find out how to do that, *let me know*! -lol-

seriously, there are many ways to do this, depending
on your objective. Someone mentioned Ruby on Rails -
if you follow its conventions, it *will*
auto-magically create forms for you to enter, delete
and update information. However, this its initial
presentation is very basic. Non technical users would
probably find a way to bash it and evil users may well
find a way to destroy it.

You would have to learn about Ruby and Rails - which
isn't trivial. I'm going through the process now.

At present, I've been using PHP, HTML, CSS, ADODB db
abstraction layer and Manuel Lemos' forms class to get
my interfaces up and running.

It hasn't been a trivial learning curve, either. It
has taken some dedication - and thank goodness for all
the good people in this and other mailing lists and
forums!

if you don't want to program the interface yourself,
you could always hire someone to do it. Even then, it
would help to know a little bit about the technology
b/c programming styles vary drammatically and it can
have serious consequences for your app at some point
in the future.