Re: Better name/syntax for "online" index creation

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Better name/syntax for "online" index creation
Date: 2006-07-25 02:06:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Rod Taylor wrote:
> Sorry, hit send too quickly.
>
> NOLOCK is kinda like NOWAIT, except implies that the command will not
> take a strong lock instead of stating that it will not wait for one.
>
> On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 11:20 -0400, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > > SHARED CREATE INDEX ....

I like NOLOCK myself. ONLINE makes it sound like non-ONLINE index
creation has to happen when the server is down.

I don't like SHARED as the first word because we don't do this in any
other cases --- it makes it look like the command is SHARED, and I am
sure people will try putting SHARED in front of other commands like
UPDATE. "Hey, where is the SHARED manual page?"

Anyway, if you want psql to easily identify it, just return NOLOCK as
part of the command string returned:

test=> create index i on test(x);
CREATE INDEX NOLOCK

--