Unix Installer (Was: Re: Three weeks left until ... )

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Unix Installer (Was: Re: Three weeks left until ... )
Date: 2006-07-14 01:25:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> On 7/13/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
>> 'k, but, again, this comes to someone (you?) stepping forward and
>> dedicating the time/energy to developing a 'mega distribution', and being
>> willing to provide support for it
>
> True. Then maybe we should just all work together to make a
> distribution suggestion to packagers of the major components and their
> versions. That way the packagers at least have a good idea of what we
> believe is "good-to-go" with X version of PostgreSQL.

This works,to an extent ... but what packagers are you referring to? I
know with FreeBSD, there is no "one packager for all things postgresql ...

> Not to be too "business" about it, but a PostgreSQL community
> distribution should IMHO, be vendor neutral. If the installer were
> vendor-branding-free, I'd be game.

The big problem is that there is no 'single package format' out there, so
any installer would be fairly difficult from that perspective, i think ...
you'd have to have a 'pgrpm-installer' vs 'pgdeb-installer' vs
'pgpkg-installer' vs ... ?

----
Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664