Re: Fwd: Three weeks left until feature freeze

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date: 2006-07-14 01:09:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>>> Most people who run FreeBSD have no need for Mammoth, until possibly they
>>> want to upgrade via ports to a new version of PostgreSQL but they don't
>>> want to upgrade FreeBSD.
>>
>> 'k, up to now, you had me ... but what does upgrading to a new version of
>> PostgreSQL have to do with upgrading FreeBSD? They are totally different
>> sub-systems ...
>
> I am not exactly sure how it works in FreeBSD but I can speak from Fedora and
> Ubuntu.

Ah, okay ... FreeBSD has a ports system that can be updated seperate from
teh operating system using cvsup ... in my case, I run cvsup nightly, just
to make sure my ports tree is up to date ...

So, if I'm running 8.1.3 right now on my desktop, and 8.1.4 is now in the
new ports tree, the next time I run an update of my ports, postgresql will
get upgraded to 8.1.4 ... note that most ppl upgrade ports interactively,
so I'm not advocating blindly upgrading and overwriting your old version
:)

I have a couple of FreeBSD 4.x servers that are running 8.1.4 PostgreSQL
from ports ...

----
Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664