Re: %Alter Help

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: KyLiE <citlali(dot)guerrero(at)inegi(dot)gob(dot)mx>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: %Alter Help
Date: 2006-07-10 23:57:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 04:55:40PM -0500, KyLiE wrote:
> Hi all, I have a new question, know i'm trying to alter one of my
> tables,but the thing is, that I need to change the range of one of my
> columns, I've allready try this:
>
> ALTER TABLE lugar alter column sitio varchar2(500);
>
> but it gives me a syntax error. and i don't know why.

What's the exact error message and what version of PostgreSQL are
you running? At least three things could be contributing to the
error:

1. The syntax for altering a column's type is

ALTER [ COLUMN ] column TYPE type [ USING expression ]

The command you showed is missing the word "TYPE".

2. Altering a column's type is supported only in PostgreSQL 8.0 and
later; if you're using 7.4 or earlier then you'll need to perform
the steps shown in the FAQ:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ.html#item4.3

3. PostgreSQL doesn't have a builtin varchar2 type. Unless you've
added varchar2 then use varchar instead.

Try this:

ALTER TABLE lugar ALTER COLUMN sitio TYPE varchar(500);

--
Michael Fuhr