timestamp with definable accuracy, was: Re: empty text fields

From: Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: timestamp with definable accuracy, was: Re: empty text fields
Date: 2006-07-09 20:34:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 12:02:40PM +0200, Alban Hertroys wrote:

> This kind of reeks like a begin/end date and an accuracy quantifier,
> though that wouldn't account for option 6.
>
> Your cases 0 to 5 and 7 would be transformed into something like:
> Where I defined '5' as being accurate, and lower values less accurate.
> You may want to use values with a wider spread, it'll allow more
> fuzziness about how sure you are about a certain date.

Just for your information:

In our Python implementation of a fuzzy timestamp type we
used accuracy values ranging from 1 to 7 denoting the
"precision" of a complete timestamp definition:

7 - full subsecond accuracy (7 "digits" precision)
6 - seconds
5 - minutes
4 - hours
3 - days
2 - months
1 - years

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD 4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346