Re: [CORE] GPL Source and Copyright Questions

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Charles Comiskey <comiskey(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, meskes(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CORE] GPL Source and Copyright Questions
Date: 2006-06-26 13:06:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

I did some research on this item. I downloaded the source code to WN from:

http://hopf.math.northwestern.edu/index.html

I could only find the most recent version. wn-2.4.7. I then looked at
its image.c file:

http://momjian.us/expire/image.c

I looked at the last two functions in the file and compared it to what
we have in CVS, particularly the version of the code when it was first
added to CVS:

http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/backend/utils/adt/geo_ops.c?rev=1.13;content-type=text%2Fplain

Again, look at the last two functions in the file.

You will see similarities and differences. Many of the variable names
are the same, and there is an identical comment block. The algorithm
used is very similar as well, but the style and formatting is different.

I have updated the code comment in CVS to mention the web site, GPL
license, and article describing the algorithm.

Not sure where to go from here.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us