Re: Exporting data from view

From: Brent Wood <b(dot)wood(at)niwa(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Aaron Koning <aaronkoning(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Worky Workerson <worky(dot)workerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Exporting data from view
Date: 2006-06-20 21:00:38
Lists: pgsql-general

> I read recently about the efforts underway to COPY from a view,
> however I was wondering what the current best-practices are for being
> able to copy out of a view and import that data into an actual table
> elsewhere. I am currently doing psql -c "SELECT ..." and the using a
> bit of perl to transform that into something copyable (i.e. CSV), but
> is there a way to directly export the data in an easily importable
> form?

psql -A -t -c "select * from <view>";

You can use -F to set the delimiter
-o to specify an output file name (or just redirect stdout)

etc.

Try man psql

To redirect it into a table,

"insert into table ....
select .... ;"

between databases/systems

psql -d <DB> -p <port> -A -t -c "select * from <view>"; | psql ... "copy
from stdin...;"

can work, as the psql extract can be written to generate the same format
as copy from.

Brent Wood