Re: Exporting type OID macros in a cleaner fashion

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Andrew Vick <avick(at)remote-print(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Exporting type OID macros in a cleaner fashion
Date: 2006-06-17 22:18:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 10:58:05PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> The alternative I'm currently thinking about is to build and install an
> auto-generated file comparable to fmgroids.h, containing *only* the type
> OID macro #defines extracted from pg_type.h. This would require just a
> trivial amount of sed hacking.

This is a good idea. It would be nice to be able to have stuff useful
for the frontend available without having to pullin everything for the
backend.

> I'm not entirely clear where to install such a thing though. The
> fmgroids.h precedent suggests server/utils/fmgroids.h, but if this is
> intended for client-side use it shouldn't go under /server. I'm
> tempted to install it as "pgtypeoids.h" at the top level of the
> installation include directory ... but then I'm not clear which source
> directory ought to generate it.

At first glance I'd get include/catalog to build it and install it.
pgtypeoids.h sounds like a good name to me and it should be in the top
level.

Have a nice day,