Date ranges + DOW select question

From: joseppi c <joseppic(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Date ranges + DOW select question
Date: 2006-06-15 10:14:12
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,
I have a table which contains starttime, endtime and
DOW; i.e. a weekly list of times for when a process
must be started and ended.

TABLE: cronTimes
FIELDS: starttime, endtime, dayOfWeek

I have another table which contains date ranges.

TABLE: dateRanges
FIELDS: dateStart, dateEnd

I need to get a list of cronTimes records for a record
in dateRanges and push these to a temporary table.
i.e. tell me which dates are affected by cronTimes.

I have got a little way on this but need some
assistance.

SELECT * FROM cronTimes WHERE
starttime >= '00:00:00' AND endtime <= '23:59:59'
AND dayOfWeek >= (EXTRACT(DOW FROM TIMESTAMP
'2006-06-26')) AND dayOfWeek <= (EXTRACT(DOW FROM
TIMESTAMP '2006-07-04'));

The problem with the above is that by casting the
dateStart and dateEnd they become numbers between 0
and
6 which inturn invalidates the < & > as they are
nolonger working on dates, nor a sequence as numbers
can be repeated.

Do I need to generate a sequence of dates somehow so
that each date in the range can be compared to the
cronTimes table (so I can use the 'IN' condition)?

Am I in the realms of plpgsql?

Any advice on the above welcome.

Joseppic.