Re: Performance Question

From: Terry Lee Tucker <terry(at)esc1(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance Question
Date: 2006-06-14 21:48:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday 14 June 2006 03:57 pm, Terry Lee Tucker <terry(at)esc1(dot)com> thus
communicated:
--> Hello List:
-->
--> I've been told that an update to a record is equivalent to a delete and
insert --> operation. We have a utility written in Perl that brings into
sync certain --> elements of 50 thousand records on 8 structurally identical
databases. We --> threw together the script and decided to just delete the
record and re-insert --> it with the data that was brought into sync. Now
the question: Is it just as --> fast to do it this way, or is there some
hidden advantage to performing an --> update?
-->
--> Just curious.
-->
--> TIA

Thanks for the answers. This list is a BIG help to us all :o]