Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Me And My Database

From: "Leif B(dot) Kristensen" <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Me And My Database
Date: 2006-06-07 13:31:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Wednesday 7. June 2006 06:26, Robert Treat wrote:

>On Tuesday 06 June 2006 18:44, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:

>> The reason why the generation of eg. the family sheet is faster in
>> the MySQL web context than in my production environment, is that I'm
>> really comparing apples and potatoes here. The Web database has a
>> much flatter and denormalized structure, due to the fact that
>> there's no editing. The entire Web database is repopulated from
>> scratch every time I do an update.
>
>If you going through this kind of step now, why not just generate the
> whole site from the pg database as html pages and then push those out
> to the client? That way you eliminate any dbms overhead and reduce
> load on your webservers (and eliminate the need for a 2nd db schema)

Ouch. The method I'm using today, is quick, easy, and works like a
charm. It's one local script that runs in a few seconds, generating SQL
command files which are tarred and gzipped to a 1.5MB file, and scp'ed
to the server, and then a serverside load script which takes a couple
of minutes. Generating 40000+ static HTML pages, each of up to 10K,
would fill up my disk quota faster than I can spell postgresql.

And how would you write a name search for static pages?

It ain't broken, and I ain't gonna fix it.
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE