Re: Invoke diff from plpgsql?

From: Matthew Peter <survivedsushi(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: George Pavlov <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Invoke diff from plpgsql?
Date: 2006-05-27 21:25:02
Lists: pgsql-general

George Pavlov <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com> wrote: > Wondering how to invoke a application like diff from plpgsql? Thanks!

And don't forget that you are working with a database. Most diff-ing
uses can probably be handled by constructs like EXCEPT and INTERSECT to
say nothing of OUTER JOINs. Also, IS DISTINCT FROM is your friend if you
want a comparison that treats NULLs as "normal" data values.
Thanks for the replies. What I wanted to do was just track the changes to a column... like svn does so I can get a history and incremental changes of a article per user handled by a trigger. Saving the output from diff seemed simple enough rather than the entire article.

Is there a contrib modules or otherwise to enable tracking changes like that in plpgsql?