Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Date: 2006-05-19 18:44:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 11:29:23AM -0400, Mark Woodward wrote:
> I kind of agree with this statement, but while I was playing devils's
> advocate and just grousing a bit about having to use MySQL, there is a
> sort of reality of "openomics" where mind-share is everything.
>
> The more mind-share you have, the more opportunities you have and the more
> resources become available. Not always, of course, look at OpenSSH, but
> for the most part.
>
> As MySQL adds features, not matter how poorly implemented, and maintain a
> migration path, we will never reach their users.
>
> PostgreSQL is better, true, but it is not ideal in many ways. It can be
> best said that the difference between PostgreSQL and MySQL is similar to
> the difference between Linux/BSD and Windows.

Actually, I think it's a lot more accurate to compare PostgreSQL and
MySQL as FreeBSD vs Linux from about 5 years ago. Back then FreeBSD was
clearly superior from a technology standpoint, and clearly playing
second-fiddle when it came to users. And now, Linux is actually
technically superior in most ways thanks to all the mindshare that's
been poured into it.