Re: pg_dump and backslash escapes

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump and backslash escapes
Date: 2006-05-17 16:46:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Very clear. The issue is that I can't find any of these emitted by a
> > pg_dump version who's native backend doesn't understand them.
>
> So? We're not doing anything differently in that regard either. 8.2
> will understand the SET, what's the problem?

Uh, 8.2 doesn't need these flags. It is for back branches that assume
escape processing.

Anyway, I talked to Tom on the phone and he feels we just need to tell
people loading pre-8.1 dumps to use PGOPTIONS to set
escape_string_warning to false when loading the dump. Seeing that many
pre-8.1 people are not going to upgrade the newest 8.0.X before
upgrading to 8.2 or 8.3, I suppose the PGOPTIONS approach is OK. It
would have to be documented in the release notes, actually starting with
8.2 because that's the first release where escape_string_warning can be
true.

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us