Re: semaphore usage "port based"?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson(at)FreeBSD(dot)org>
To: Max Khon <fjoe(at)samodelkin(dot)net>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kris Kennaway <kris(at)obsecurity(dot)org>, freebsd-stable(at)FreeBSD(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: semaphore usage "port based"?
Date: 2006-05-17 10:37:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Max Khon wrote:

>> Yes, there seems to be an awful lot of noise being made about the fact that
>> the system does, in fact, work exactly as documented, and that the
>> configuration being complained about is one that is specifically documented
>> as being unsupported and undesirable.
>>
>> As commented elsewhere in this thread, currently, there is no
>> virtualization support for System V IPC in the FreeBSD Jail implementation.
>> That may change if/when someone implements it. Until it's implemented, it
>> isn't going to be there, and the system won't behave as though it's there
>> no matter how much jumping up and down is done.
>
> sysvipc has been implemented once, but it has been decided that it adds
> unnecessary bloat. That's sad.

I'm not sure I follow the reasoning behind this statement. Could you direct
me to the implementation, and at the specific claim that it adds unnecessary
bloat? As far as I know, no implementation of jail support for system v ipc
has ever been rejected on the basis that it adds bloat -- all discussion about
it has centered on the fact that it is, in fact, a very difficult technical
problem to solve, which requires careful consideration of the approach and
tradeoffs, and that that careful consideration has not yet bene done.

Robert N M Watson