Re: Synchronized Replication

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Ketema Harris <ketema(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Synchronized Replication
Date: 2006-05-15 19:35:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 08:37:32PM -0400, Ketema Harris wrote:
> Hello. I have been reading up on Sony Replication, and at first I thought
> Master/Slave between two offices would be perfect for my situation. After I
> got more info though I believe it may not suit my needs. If I want the two
> databases to be in synchronization (meaning they have the same tables, and
> if an insert occurs on one it is replicated in such a way that unique ids
> from sequences are not duplicated) is this something that Slony can
> accomplish? If not what other options are out there?

For slony, depening on how your application is setup, you might be able
to have each site write to a set of local tables that are then
replicated back to a single office. The database at that office would
then need to merge all of that together and publish it back out via a
different table.

Your only other option is one of the command-based syncronous
replication schemes, but you have to be very careful about what commands
you issue with those. They also tend not to handle communication
interruptions very well, making them ill-suited for replicating over a
WAN.