Re: Getting information about sequences

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Forums (at) Existanze" <forums(at)existanze(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting information about sequences
Date: 2006-05-15 15:03:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 10:44:15AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I haven't been able to think of a way to do that, unless you want to
> assume the existence of a plpgsql helper function. There's an open
> request to list last_values in psql's "\ds", and it'd be real nice
> to be able to do it all in one query for that.

Long term I see a few ways of dealing with this:

- Pull that idea of storing all sequences in one table off the
shelf and implement it. The new heap up-date-in-place function may come
in handy there.

- Find a way of allowing functions to be declared inline, to avoid
creating system functions continuously. I don't know if there's
precedent for this.

- Create a function called: gettable(reloid) returns record, that takes
a relation OID and returns all the records in it. If all the tables
you're dealing with have a similar structure, you can use this to
iteratoe over, sequences just being a special case.

There's probably more, but that's all I can think of right now.

Have a nice day,