Re: [HACKERS] Big IN() clauses etc : feature proposal

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Big IN() clauses etc : feature proposal
Date: 2006-05-11 18:43:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 11:35:34AM -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
> I can say that I've seen plenty of instances where the ability to create
> temporary tables very quickly with no overhead over the original query would
> be useful.

I wonder if this requires what the standard refers to as a global
temporary table. As I read it (which may be wrong, I find the language
obtuse), a global temporary table is a temporary table whose structure
is predefined. So, you'd define it once, updating the catalog only once
but still get a table that is emptied each startup.

Ofcourse, it may not be what the standard means, but it still seems
like a useful idea, to cut down on schema bloat.

Have a nice day,